Rouge Valley Lifesaving Club (RVLC) is a non-profit organization that specializes in training and education on open water lifesaving skills, and promoting lifesaving sport. Lifesaving sport is unique where its skills are first learned for humanitarian purposes –to save a life. Lifesaving sport is supported by the Lifesaving Society and is recognized in many countries across the world. RVLC is founded in 2013 and serves the regional area of “Rouge River”, which includes York Region, Durham Region and the Greater Toronto Area.
Our mission is to promote drowning prevention throughout the community by:
- Building awareness, education, and lifesaving skills
- Promoting active living through aquatic activities
- Building the community through engaging youth and developing future leaders in lifesaving sport
RVLC aims to achieve that mission through the following objectives:
- To promote, support and encourage participation in aquatics and athletics in the community
- To promote, support and encourage participation in Lifesaving as a sport
- To increase public awareness of water safety in the community
- To improve water safety in the community by maintaining and improving the qualifications and standards of lifeguards and by ensuring uniformity in such qualifications and standards
- To unite those persons engaged in lifesaving and to share information among such persons for the mutual benefit of the members and the community
- To develop and provide training for coaches, lifeguards, and volunteers, therefore increasing the quality of community based programs while maintaining safe and enjoyable aquatic activities for the public
- To maximize opportunities for children and youth of the community to participate in indoor and outdoor aquatic related activities
- To maintain a community aquatic program for the children and youth, focusing on a skill development continuum which range from the basic to a high performance level
- To maintain a membership in good standing with the Competitive Lifesaving Provincial Sports Organization
- To take such other actions as the RVLC considers will advance its mission statement.