The RVLC day-to-day programs rely heavily on members as volunteers to run and operate. Each member is required to fulfill a minimum number of volunteer hours that is dictated by the board of directors year to year. High school students can count their volunteer hours towards high school accreditation.
A $50.00 discount (only applied to senior members) is applied to Regular Membership fee for those individuals who applied and successfully selected for the volunteer lifesaving coach or volunteer lifeguard position.
Volunteer Position - Require Recruitment ProcessThe following volunteer positions require all candidates to go through a recruitment process as these individuals will be dealing with vulnerable groups (i.e. youth and children):
- Volunteer Lifesaving Coach (LSS Lifesaving Coach - Level 1) - Waterfront
- Volunteer Lifeguard (LSS National Lifeguard - Pool)
The recruitment process
- Volunteer Application completed with submission of proof of qualifications (Lifesaving Society)
- Application reviewed by the board and interview scheduled with candidate
- Conduct interviews
- Upon successful interview, candidates will be given a letter of proof to go to their respective police districts to complete a Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC). Note: You must attend the Police station of the municipality that you reside in.
- For York Region, refer to procedure here
For Durham Region, refer to procedure here
For Toronto, refer to procedure here
- Once the letter is received in the mail, submit the PVSC to the membership chair.
- Go through scheduled facility and job specific training
- Work scheduled shifts
Volunteer Position - No recruitment process requiredThe following volunteer position do not require candidates to go through a recruitment process as these individuals will not be dealing with vulnerable groups (i.e. youth and children):
- set-up and take down equipment (i.e tents)
- equipment transportation to and from training location
- fix and repair crafts and equipment
- assist in running and managing special events/ fundraisers
For more information on the job descriptions for each position, and future volunteering opportunities, please contact us.